Tuesday 11 November 2014

#reviewsdaytuesday: Herbal Essences Naked Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner

Recently, Herbal Essences (my current go to brand) brought out a range of 'Naked' hair products. 'Naked' here means it is free of silicone, parabens and colourant - and I haven't done any research to check out why these things are bad for you or your hair, but I'm assuming that the fewer artificial chemicals the better. As you saw in my empties post, I ran out of my shampoo and conditioner and needed a new one, so I thought I'd give this one a go.



As far as a moisture giving product, it does a decent job. I don't think its any more moisturising than other herbal essences products (in fact, I think the Beautiful Ends and Tousle Me Softly products are actually more moisturing) but equally for me it doesn't need to be. As long as its not drying my hair out, I'm good with it!

This product is meant to have a minty smell, and it almost does. It smells a lot like a neutral men's shower gel (if that makes sense), so the mint isn't fresh and crisp but dull and ... I want to say itchy? It doesn't 'burn' like other mint products do, its a much more muted scent.

My biggest criticism is the packaging - and this is more of a criticism of all Herbal Essences products rather than just this specific one. I love that both the conditioner and the shampoo are in see-through (or at least transluscent) containers, but the shape of the containers themselves are awful. I get that they are meant to be sexy and curvy, but having a top heavy product means its always falling over. I used to stack shelves at a supermarket and hated doing the Herbal Essences products. Its also really hard to get any of the conditioner out of the bottle (I've found this more of a problem with this specific product). I've started taking the cap off and shaking it like a glass ketchup bottle rather than squeezing it, which is slightly inconvenient.



All in all, its a pretty decent product. I won't be rushing to buy it again, but it does the job.

As an aside, I am aware that Herbal Essences aren't cruelty free. I am still looking for an affordable, high quality, cruelty free shampoo and conditioner. I'm going to write a more expansive post about my relationship to cruelty free and my hair care, so look out for that later in the month!

If you have any suggestions for affordable cruelty free hair care then tweet me @VickiMaitland or leave a comment below. Also, let me know what you think if you've tried this product. My next blog post will be part of my University series - this time on home hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment