Wednesday 17 December 2014

Blogmas 17: Unconventional Christmas Songs

In my Fifteen Festive Favourites, I said 'I prefer traditional Christmas songs', and whilst this is true, I think what I actually meant is that I prefer non-pop Christmas songs. Slade and Wizard are all well and good, but sometimes I prefer something a little more off the beaten track. So here are my top unconventional Christmas songs (in no particular order).

1) The Christmas Sandwich Song. I've loved this ever since my then-boyfriend showed it to me in 2011. Its so folksy and happy.

2) Always in the Season by Pomplamoose. I love Natalie's voice and this is a beautiful song - very sweet and touching (and a little bit funny).

3) White Wine In The Sun by Tim Minchin. This song is pretty long, but it really captures the spirit of Christmas for me (a non-religious person).

4) White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes. I love how folksy this song is, despite the fact it actually a little dark and not really about Christmas at all! Pentatonix do a great cover of it too.

5) It Feels Like Christmas by The Muppets. I had to give this one an honorable mention, although I could have picked any of the songs from this film. Like this one. Or this one.

and as a bonus, because even though it is a Christmas classic, not many people know it:

6) The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers by Harry Connick Jr. Oh the childhood memories! And here's the Disney Sing-a-long version that started my love for this song!

So those are my top five (and a bonus mention) unconventional Christmas songs! What are yours? Tweet me @VickiMaitland or leave a comment!




No comments:

Post a Comment