Friday 20 March 2015

Day to Night Kylie Jenner Inspired Make Up Look (Cruelty Free, Drugstore)

As the title of this post suggests, today I'm going to show you my take on Kylie Jenner's make-up look - using only cruelty free and drugstore products. If you follow me on Instagram, you'll know that I wear this look loads, and it's a great transition from day to night. If you want to make it completely day wear, skip on the foundation and go a little easier on the contour. The great thing about this look is that you can skip out steps and mix up products and still get a great look. I decided to show two different lips with this look as they both work really well and are classic Kylie. 




Step one is, as always, applying a nice moisturiser. Currently mine isn't cruelty free, but as soon as I run out I'm picking up B. Ready Day Cream. I let that soak into my skin before starting on the rest of my makeup.



Next I exfoliate my lips using Lush's Mint Julips exfoliator. It's made from sugar and oils, so it tastes great too! If I'm doing a heavy lip look (and we know that Kylie's lips are pretty intense) then I always exfoliate first.



The lip liners I'm using apply best on balmed lips, but I don't want them to slip off straight away so I apply the balm at this stage. I'm using Palmer's Cocoa Butter lip balm.



As I want this look to last me through the day, I'm applying B. Radiant Illuminating Primer. I like the fresh, dewy look this primer gives, although if you're going to be having your photo taken with the flash on I'd stay away from it.



Concealer time! I'm using Collection Lasting Perfection concealer in the shade 02 Cool Medium. Collection has a somewhat dubious cruelty free status (the company is cruelty free, but the parent company is somewhat ambiguous), but I've decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really like this concealer, although I find if I apply it without a primer it can look a little cakey.



I put a good layer of my M&S Limited Collection foundation in Nude on to try and achieve Kylie's flawless complexion.



I buff all of that in with E.L.F Pressed Powder in Sand. If I was wearing this look purely for the daytime, I would skip the foundation but keep this step in order to give me some light coverage and to blend in my concealer.



Kylie doesn't have a very blusher intensive look, but for my complexion I think it adds another dimension to my face so I add a little M&S Limited Collection blush in the shade Cinnamon.



Using my contour brush I suck in my cheeks and run E.L.F Pressed Powder in Buff in the hollows of my cheeks, down the sides of my nose, around the edges of my forehead, and under my chin. I focus my work at the very back of my cheekbones (where your sideburns would curve round) to give a chiseled look.




I keep in one palette for my eyes - Collection Eyes Uncovered Nude Palette. Beginning with the lightest shade, I place this in the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them. Next I move on to the sandy shade (third from bottom in the image below) for the rest of my lid. I take a mix of the two taupe shades (forth and fifth from bottom) and work them along my crease, building up the colour very slowly. Kylie rarely wears eyeliner in her every day look, so all the work is coming from the crease and the mascara. To give the crease a touch more definition I take the darkest colour and work on the outer corner of my eye. I blend it all together so none of the lines are harsh.





Although Kylie doesn't really wear eyeliner, I've decided to line my tight line in order to make my lashes appear fuller. Sadly I don't have a picture for this as it takes two hands! I used E.L.F Cream Eyeliner in Black.

Lashes! I curl them (sorry for the state of my curler) before applying mascara to make my eyes look extra wide. I've been loving M&S Limited Collection All-In-One mascara in Black. It's a little clumpy, but I quite like that in a mascara as you can work with the clumps to give the illusion of fuller lashes. 



The Kardashian-Jenner family have pretty killer brows, so I fill mine in with Collection Brow Kit, using the middle shade and their excellent brow gel.


Kylie takes after her older siblings and highlights to the max. As a nod to her I'm going back in with my Collection Lasting Perfection concealer, this time in the shade 01 Fair. I've dotted this under my eyes, down the bridge of my nose, on my forehead, my cupids bow and my chin.



Last but not least, lips. For look one, I used Barry M lip liner in 9 (Mulberry). Kylie has quite a full lip (I actually think the amount she pencils over her natural lip line is a little excessive, and she definitely shouldn't be heralded as bringing the full lip into fashion, but each to their own) so I pencil mine a little bigger.


For look two I pair up Barry M lip liner in 11 (Wine) with M&S Limited Collection Matte lipstick in Mulberry. When I originally bought the lipstick I thought it was going to be a lot more purple than it is, but pairing with this purple lip liner give a beautiful colour. I get tonnes of compliments when I wear this duo so I'd definitely recommend giving it a go if you're not afraid of a vampy lip!


Since I want this look to last day to night, I spritz my face with UR CHEEKY Freeze Frame makeup setting spray. I love this stuff and it really works at holding everything in place, particularly if you're going on a night out to a warm, sweaty club!

I said that Kylie rarely wears eyeliner, but when she does it's just on the outer corners of her eye. I use E.L.F Cream Eyeliner to achieve this - here's a picture from a few weeks back.



Let me know what you think! Tag me on Twitter or Instagram if you try out either of these looks, I'm @vickimaitland everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment