Tuesday 5 May 2015

May TBR

** Before I start this post I just want to remind all of my UK readers that the general election is being held on Thursday. Please, please vote. If you're not sure on who to vote for this is a really good site which separates policies from parties. This is an excellent series by Jazza giving reasons to vote for each of the major political parties. This is his wrap up video, which I urge you to watch even if you don't have the time to watch any of the others **



Term has officially ended for me, which means I finally get to read purely for pleasure. Because neither of the modules I took this year had books to read I have painfully behind on my 50 books goal, so I'm hoping to get back on track over the next couple of months. According to GoodReads I'm currently 9 books behind schedule, so this is going to be a pretty ambitious TBR in order to begin to get me back on track.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche - I'm actually 300 pages into this already, having started it in February. I'm loving it so far and can't wait to get stuck back in.

This is a story about a woman who moves from Nigeria to America and back again. It's really rather good!


S by J.J Abrams and Doug Dorst - Another book that I'm part of the way through. This book is seriously incredible, but it's such a time consuming read considering it's two stories simultaneously.

Story A is about a man who wakes up and doesn't know where he is and is written by a fictional author. Story B is the annotations of two people researching Story A. It contains loads of little pieces of paper and notes scribbled on napkins - it's really cool!

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer - I've heard mixed reviews about this, but it sounds really interesting so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it!

'I'll tell you what happened because it's a good way to introduce my brother... in a couple of pages he'll be dead, and he was never the same after that'

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North -  This book sounds so intriguing so I can't wait to get stuck in!

'As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. "I nearly missed you, Doctor August," she says. "I need to send a message."'

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - I got this book free on kindle not long back, and I love the film, so I'm hoping for good things! I've got a mixed relationship with Mr Gaiman, but I've got my fingers crossed. This is also the only book I don't have a picture of because my Kindle was out of charge when I took the photos. Stardust is about a town called Wall and one mans search for a fallen star.

The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester - I saw Carrie Hope Fletcher pick up this book, and she's got pretty good taste. It sounds like it's going to be a fun read.

Set during the suffragette period (1900's), a circus performer dissappears during a performance and a reporter attempts to find out what happened.

The Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I'm pretty sure this is a 'middle grade' book, so I might use this as a trump card if I decide to take part in any read-a-thons this month.

I can't even really tell what this will be about from the blurb, but it appears to be about a girl and a boy during a summer where the girl's mother works for a mysterious toy maker.

There you have it! 4/6 of the books were gifts from my sister and not necessarily things I would have picked up from the shelf, but I trust her taste so I'm really looking forward to reading them. I think she's looking forward to me reading them too so I can pass them on to her! If you're wondering, my nails are painted with the decidedly not cruelty free Rimmel Lasting Finish polish in 200 Orange Your Life (let me know if there's a cruelty free dupe out there because I love the vibrancy of this colour!)

What are you reading this month? Tweet me @VickiMaitland, leave a comment below, or tag me on Instagram in a pic of your TBR pile (@vickimaitland). You can also friend me on GoodReads to keep up with my reading progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment