Tuesday 26 May 2015

On The Big Weekend

When it was first announced that Radio One's Big Weekend was not only going to be in my home city but actually on my university campus I was so excited it was unreal. My city is relatively small, so to have a big event like that is really special. The morning the tickets were released I spent over an hour on my laptop, but to no avail. Excitement changed to sadness. Half an hour later, and I was back on the excitement train again - one of my very kind friends had a spare Sunday ticket and was offering it to me!



This Sunday felt like the most perfect end to a degree anyone could ask for. Taylor Swift stood on stage saying 'Hello Norwich' was the culmination of three years worth of hard work. I actually welled up when I caught a peek of her through the crowd. Not only that, but I was stood with my two beautiful housemates (and another of our lovely friends) who have been there for me the past two years we've lived together and are the best friends a girl could ask for!

There aren't words to describe how the day felt as a whole, so I'm just going to share a few highlights with you.

1) Olly Murs. I loved him when he was on X-Factor and always thought he'd be amazing live, and he really didn't disappoint! He was every bit the cheeky chappy I thought he'd be, and he did an incredible funk medley.

2) At the front for Rita Ora. The stage was at the bottom of a hill and we got to get to eye level with Rita! I'm not a huge fan, but it was pretty incredible to be able to say that I've seen her.

3) Catfish and the Bottlemen. I hadn't heard of this band before and was surprised when I recognised most of their songs. I officially have a crush on their lead singer - his baby blue's had such long lashes on them, and I'm a sucker for pretty eyes.

4) George Ezra has one of the most lovely voices. His set was more of a mid-afternoon chill than a prelude to Taylor Swift, but it was wonderful all the same.

5) TAYLOR SWIFT. I've loved Taylor since her first album and she put on the most incredible show. Her set felt slightly shorter than it should have been, but that could just have been because I was loving it so much! She is amazing live and it was a really special experience.

6) Foo's to finish. I'm not a massive Foo Fighter's fan but Dave Grohl is great at talking to a crowd. His repeated dedication of songs to Taylor Swift was hilarious, and there was a moment when he called the band to go silent and the whole audience sung the riff/bridge (I don't know the technical term) of his song.

So, despite the rain, I had an incredible day. I am so grateful to my friends for giving me a ticket, so happy I got to spend the day with people I love, and so in awe that this was all happening on my doorstep.

Sorry I forgot to post on Friday - I completely lost track of the days of the week. As per usual, there will be a bonus Sunday post at some point in the future to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment