Sunday 2 October 2016

Cruelty Free Comparisons: Liquid Lipsticks

For those of you new to my blog, every so often I like to pit high(er) end cruelty free products against their drugstore alternatives. In the past, I've compared conditioner, mascara, and today is the turn of liquid lipsticks!

Budget:

NYX Liquid Suede in Soft Spoken - £6.50

High End:

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita - £16

I roped my sister in for this, so throughout the post she will be wearing the NYX Liquid Suede and I'll be wearing the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick.




First Impressions: In the tube these look like the ideal dupe for one-another. However, you'll soon see that on the skin the Kat Von D is significantly darker; it is much more purple and brown toned than the NYX Liquid Suede. In fact, I think Lolita II would probably be a closer comparison colour wise, although that might swing things slightly towards the orange end of the spectrum.

Even with my darker complexion you can see how much darker the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick is.

The Application: The Kat Von D slides on the lips really easily and, with fully moisturised lips, you soon forget you are wearing it. I could easily match the shape of my lips, even at the often fiddly cupids bow, and didn't need to go in with a cotton swab for emergency touch ups. The NYX doesn't fair so well. Although it glides on easily and it's a really nice consistency, the applicator itself is far too clumsy. Becca uses the applicator to do the centre of her lips and then goes in with a lip brush for the finer details.


NYX above, Kat Von D below. You can see how much larger the NYX applicator is, and the Kat Von D has a lovely taper.
The Wear: Both Becca and I have owned and worn these lipsticks fairly consistently for a number of weeks. We've both been really happy with the wear. You do have to reapply after meals, but otherwise they are both very long lasting products. To put them to the test, we both took a sip out of a warm cup - you can see the results below...


This was Becca's cup, and you can see the classic lipstick smudge showing clearly on the white.



This was my cup. Although you can't see it, there were a few marks left by the lipstick. On the whole, the Kat Von D fared much better.

Which Won? For this round I think it is a real tie. Both products have their merits and both are very good for their price tag. If you have the extra £10 in your pocket I think the Kat Von D is really worth it. Not only is the brand completely cruelty free but these Everlasting Lip Sticks are also vegan! NYX, on the other hand, is Loreal owned and it doesn't have an easily accessible list of vegan products (although I am led to believe that many are).

Which would you choose? High end or high street?

In this photo you can really see how much lighter the lipstick is on the lips rather than in the tube.



The Kat Von D is a very true colour match.


No comments:

Post a Comment