Wednesday 5 October 2016

Currently Reading - October 2016

My currently reading pile is pretty mammoth at the moment - probably the biggest it has ever been. I just can't seem to settle with a book, which is saying something for me, and I'm a hundred or so pages through five or six books. I really do want to continue with them, though, especially the two that I'm super close to finishing, and I'm making it my goal this month to half my currently reading pile. I also have a small pile of Darling magazines that I've half read, as well as the Rookie Yearbook 4, so I'd like to finish flicking through a couple of those by the end of the month too. I'm going to list this in reverse order, from the book I picked up most recently to the oldest book on my pile.

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden - I responded to a call for bloggers from Ebury Press to get a proof of this book. Set in Russia, it combines mystery and magic with a coming of age story (as far as I can tell) and I'm about 50 pages in so far. I'm enjoying it and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the first book I finished this month.

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff - I hauled this book not so long ago and I'm about 100 pages into this and mostly enjoying it. The way it is written it really interesting - it really fluidly moves through time, which can be a little disorientating, and I do keep having to remind myself who is who. It's about Mathilde and Lotto - a young couple with a relationship riddled with secrets and history.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - I'm 130 pages through this, just beginning Act Two, Scene 11. So far I have very mixed feelings and to be honest I just need to sit down and finish this! I'm intrigued to know where the story is going and, although I'm not a huge fan of the quality of the dialogue, I do find myself getting swept up in the story each time I sit with it.

Posh by Laura Wade - I've seen The Riot Club and, to be honest, the only thing that is putting me off finishing this is how angry I get each time I read it. I know I'm in the closing pages but I just can't bring myself to read it! This is a play based on a fictional club at an 'Oxbridge' university, but it plays off some of the truths we know about The Bullingdon Club - a prestigious society that was home to most of the Tory party back in their university days.

The Four-Dimensional Human by Laurence Scott - I started reading this on my journey home from Munich earlier in the summer, which, to be honest, was probably bad timing on my part. This book needs significantly more concentration than I'm able to give it, which is why I'm still only 68 pages through. Truth be told, I should probably remove my bookmark and start again - I would like to have finished this book by the end of the year but I'm dubious about being able to tackle it this month. This is a non-fiction book which looks at the way we interact with technology.

John Dies At The End by David Wong - As far as I can remember I am literally pages away from the end of this. I was reading it on holiday in South Africa but I never managed to finish it. I need to re-charge my kindle and knuckle down with this one - I'd probably finish it in a matter of minutes. This is a very odd book to describe... it is about a drug called 'soy sauce' which enables the person who takes it to see demons. It's very surreal and fairly amusing, although I did remember thinking that it was about to finish only to see that I had over 50% of the book left to go!

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo - This book was on everybody's lips at the start of the year and I actually started reading this book in January. However, I stopped 130 pages in when I realised that I didn't have time to tidy my room and I didn't want to forget all Marie's tips. Suffice to say, I never picked up the book again. This is one of the ones I really want to have finished this month, especially since I've remembered the basic gist of her theory a whole 10 months on anyway!

So there you have it, my rather too long currently reading list! Are there any books you're struggling to get through? Have you got any tips for someone in the depths of a reading slump like I am? You can let me know on Twitter @VickiMaitland

No comments:

Post a Comment