Wednesday 28 December 2016

My Bookish 2017 Goals

I am someone who is fairly goal driven and I like to give myself tasks for personal improvement every now and then. The new year is a very cliched time to do this, admittedly, but if we can't enjoy a little cliche then what can we enjoy?!

At the beginning of this year I set my self some personal reading goals, which included reading more non-fiction, reading more diversely, and reading more short stories/plays/poetry/non-novels. Some of these goals have been a success (non-fiction books have made up a sizable chunk of this years reading list) and some have been less so (there are only a couple of non-novels on my list... whoops). With that in mind, I thought I would set myself five public goals, to spur on my 2017 reading...

1) Read more non-novels! Yes, this is going straight back on the list as it is something I am desperate to do. I have a short story collection on my TBR shelf already and I've got a play on my kindle ready to go, so I'm hoping to start off the year on the right foot. I also want to read at least one graphic novel this year, as well as more magazines.

2) Read more diversely. Another repeat goal. This was a goal I completed with relative success this year, but I want to improve even further next year. I read significantly fewer books by white men and significantly more by women - mostly because I graduated from university so could choose my own reading list! However, people of colour and LGTBQ authors didn't get as much of a look in as I would have liked, so I'm going to focus on reading more from these groups in the coming 12 months.

3) Re-read! I used to love re-reading books but I haven't in so long. This year I have re-read two books (Paper Towns and We Were Liars) and I really enjoyed the experience. I want to re-read Pride and Prejudice, the Harry Potter Series, and NW next year (at the very least).

4) Review more books. I hinted at a video project in my last book review and I'm going to hint again here! I'll reveal more in the new year, but I'll say that it will be mostly going down on Instagram... I really enjoy recording what I read and reviews are the perfect way to do that.

5) Read more! This year, as the time of writing, I have read 32 books, with a further seven (7!!) that I am part way through. I'm going to aim for a solid 40 next year - fingers crossed I can make it. I used to read a book a week, so it really shouldn't be that difficult but we shall see.

What are your bookish goals for 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment